Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thing 10: Ning

So I have explored Ning. As I see it, Ning is interest oriented where Facebook is person oriented. I have joined the Savvylibrarians(which has led me to the merrylibrarian) and Book Marketing Network. In my experience, if you join a network, you leave the main page of Ning and to get back to Ning there was no shortcut, which was very annoying but maybe I will figure out an easy way to navigate back to Ning. One network I tried to join appeared to be for artists or fans of artists but to join you had list an online store, which I don't have; just a fan.

One of the off-the-wall networks is Carny town for fair workers. I bet Carnies have some of the best stories. Also, checking out all the different networks that come up when an interest is entered is time consuming. I wish there was a way to limit the results easily by level of interest or geography. And as with Facebook, many, many, many networks have been abandoned - I would think it is logical that if there have been no new members or any type of activities for six months or longer the network goes to inactive and doesn't show up .

I did get a Ning account but it is minimal. Not ready for my own network or page.

No comments:

Post a Comment